Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Walking for MS

Last Saturday morning, we packed up both girls and headed out to join Chrissy's Angels for our annual participation in the MS Walk. I've been running so many races lately, it was a nice break to get out there for a leisurely morning stroll on a gorgeous morning.

Ok, does that sound good? It sounds nice and pleasant and not at all competitive, right? Yup, that's my official take on the walk.

Unofficially, it kind of drove this girl crazy to walk slowly along the sidewalk stopping every five minutes to let someone in or out of the stroller. Or up on or down off Cory's shoulders. Or, to get a drink. Or, to walk "by myself." Or, to complain that I'd forgotten their sunglasses.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm totally on board and totally willing to walk for the cause. I love to help out with causes that are dear to our or our friends' hearts. But, it was the actual walking with kids that was a bit annoying. It reminded me why I enjoy my solo runs in the morning so much. I love my girls, but it's about 3,000 times easier to run seven miles by myself in the morning than walk three miles in a crowd with both girls. Trust me on this point.

Keep in mind, we started at the very front of the the group. Chrissy cut the ribbon for the walk, so her whole team was at the very front. Where did we finish? Um, pretty much at the end. Ok, maybe it was like the last half. But, we were nowhere close to the front by the time we crossed the finish line. That is what happens when you constantly pull over onto the grass to readjust seating arrangements and snack containers for a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old. We're talking about slowly creeping along at about the pace of a sloth. It took us over an hour and 15 minutes to walk three miles. This is also why it amazes me when people are able to push kids in strollers during races. Side note: I really hate when those people pass me. 

Molly and Avery posing before the start of the walk.


Chrissy got to cut the ribbon to start the walk.

And, she so sweetly let Molly help out along with Avery. Molly thought she was big stuff after that!

And, we're off!

Molly's favorite part was probably getting covered in silly string.

Our slow-walking crew: The Laffertys and the Pettys.

Molly and Avery posing at an after-walk Chipotle lunch. Charlotte was busy eating the guacamole.

So, now that I've complained, I do have to say tell you that it was a good time. And, it was probably good for me to slow down and take in the scenery. You know, smelling the roses and all that. And, I love that we do it every year on Chrissy's team. Plus, you never know, maybe it'll help Molly understand what "charity" is. The girls really did have a great time, and we helped money for a really good cause, that's all that truly matters. Officially.

2 comments:

  1. love the hands on the hips - those girls have it down :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the link to the story on the news, you can see Molly right there in the front :) http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/region_kansas/overland_park/hundreds-walk-to-fight-ms

    ReplyDelete