Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A wicked night

This was our family on Halloween:



Now, let me explain how I (a non-dresser-upper) ended up wearing a full face of green paint.

It all started a little over a month ago. My friend Tara threw a Wizard of Oz-themed 1st birthday party for her daughter, Priya. My girls had never seen The Wizard of Oz and to be honest, I couldn't remember the last time I had watched it, either. So, Tara invited us over for a screening of the movie in advance of the birthday party.

Charlotte, Molly, Kevi and Kiran watching intently.

I wasn't sure how the girls were going to like it. I remember being terrified of the flying monkeys when I was little. But, other than hiding for the "scary" parts, the girls actually really liked it. Molly even started dancing around like she was on the yellow brick road. And, from that, came the idea of the Halloween costume.

Molly wanted to be Glinda, the Good Witch. Because, although she is not the main character of the movie, she does have the poofiest dress and wears a crown. As a 5-year-old, it is hard to top that. Then, because the girls like to coordinate, Molly decided Charlotte should be Dorothy. And, Charlotte jumped on that bandwagon like it was made out of chocolate. She was decided.

After coming up with the idea, we needed costumes. Do you realize how frightening it is to Google "Girl Wizard of Oz Halloween Costume?" Everything that is sweet and innocent about the characters can also be made "Sexy." Personally, I didn't know that it was possible to be both the Tin Man AND sexy, but, apparently, you can. Yikes. Luckily, my sister can sew, so she was able to make the dresses for the girls' costumes. No sexy needed, thankyouverymuch.

So, how did Cory and I get involved in this, you may ask. Well, it turns out that the girls are still young enough to want to do things with their parents. Molly and Charlotte thought I needed to dress up, and they decided I should be the Bad Witch. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this decision. I'm choosing to believe it is solely because she's the only other girl in the movie. And, Cory, they decided, should be the scarecrow.

Now, this isn't to say that we were totally on board with this idea. We smiled and joked and said, "Oh, wouldn't that be funny." But, I never actually thought I would be dressing up. I don't dress up. I've never been one to do it as an adult. But, then they kept talking about it. On Halloween morning, Charlotte said, "Mommy, where is your costume?" I realized, at that point, that this was something they REALLY wanted to happen.


So, I sucked up my anti-costume feelings and ran up to Halloween Spirit to buy a witch's hat and green face paint. Cory "borrowed" some hay from a neighbor's backyard. We were set.

The whole fam, again.

I guess it was worth it to see the excitement in the girls' faces when they saw that we actually dressed up. Plus, a lot of the people got a kick out of it as we walked around the neighborhood trick-or-treating. Not saying it will happen again, but I do love how happy it made Molly and Charlotte.

And, there's the backstory for how I ended up in green face paint on a beautiful Halloween night. I blame Tara.

And, now, for even more pictures:

Molly's school had a Halloween parade on the 31st. It was pretty adorable.

Charlotte hanging out with Toto, waiting to watch Molly walk around.

Dorothy and Glinda.

Hanging out with their painted pumpkins and Elmo and Mickey pumpkins.

Posing with Cinderella (Ella).

And, the neighborhood girls, Ella, Charlotte, Ava, Sarah, Molly and Me. (Molly taught Charlotte how to make bunny ears on people!)

Aunt Sarah posing with Glinda and Dorothy.

Trick-or-Treat! Charlotte could not be more excited by the concept of trick-or-treating. You go up to peoples' houses and they just give you candy?!? She came down saying, "I GOT CHOCOLATE!!!" A girl after my own heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment