Saturday, November 9, 2013

My little songbird

Even though I was in church choir in middle school and high school, I'm not really a singer. I mean, I can belt out a mean Journey song when I'm tooling around town in my car by myself, but, actually sing? Yeah, not so much.

My sister can really sing, and I did enroll each of my girls in Kindermusik classes for years when they were young. I want them to have some musical aptitude, even if it doesn't really come from me. If you remember last year, we had a little incident in which I had to cram a learning session of  "Jesus Loves Me" for Molly so she could sing in a church video. She did great singing that song, but when I approached her with the idea to join the children's choir this year, it was an absolute, definite "no."

Melanie, the director of the children's choir, and I slowly started working on sneaking the idea into her little brain. Parent manipulation at its best, right? We even brought my sister and good friend Leigh into the plan. Every once in a while, we would bring up the idea of singing in the choir around her. And, slowly (very slowly) she started to maybe, sorta, kinda come around to the idea.

I have no idea why she was so terrified. But, oh, was she. Molly is not a timid girl. She ran right into Kindergarten with nary a tear, the same for first grade and every dance class, art camp or gymnastics class I signed her up for. I could not for the life of me figure out her hesitance for this.

Finally, we found the right incentive. Jake! (Leigh's son, thus her involvement) We asked Molly if she wanted to join choir so she could sing with Jake. Now, we love Jake, but he and Molly don't go to the same school and everyone's schedules are crazy, so we honestly don't see a ton of each other. I really think that Molly was excited to be able to see Jake more.

She finally agreed. We went for the first time a little over a month ago. We waited for Jake outside, and they went in together. After that, it was all good.


She loved singing, and she loved choir. She had her first performance with the choir at church two weeks ago. (It was the weekend before Halloween and the church was having a trunk-or-treat afterward, so that is why there is a witch and cheerleader in the choir.)

Get ready to be blown away with the adorableness of this:



I didn't get very good pictures, but here's an out-of-focus one for you:


I did take this picture after church, and it's super cute of both girls:

That's a better photo!

So, now Molly is happily singing in choir. She loves it, and I'm glad I persevered in attempting to persuade her. Melanie even said she's been doing great. I may have a little songbird, yet.

Or, maybe she'll just enjoy it now and then grow up to be a mom-of-two driving around town belting out  Journey and looking really awesome and totally cool to everyone she passes.

I mean, I've heard rumors that can happen, haven't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment