Sunday, April 3, 2011

When I grow up ...

For some reason, Molly has been starting almost every conversation lately with the phrase "when I grow up ... " She has said that when she grows up, she wants to go running with me. Or, that she wants to be a doctor. Or a mommy. But, because she's only 3, she doesn't truly understand the concept. So, when Molly grows up, often she's going to be a mermaid.  Or a flower. Or a cupcake. Or Minnie Mouse. The possibilities are endless in her little 3-year-old mind. And, I love to hear her talking with such boundless optimism about her future. Although, I will admit, I have a hard time stifling my laughter when she comes into the room and proclaims that when she grows up, she's going to be mac and cheese. Ok, sweetie, whatever you say.
Molly, you have to beware. If you choose to be macaroni and cheese, your sister will eat you right up. And, you will end up all over her face, just like in this picture.
All of this talk about what Molly wanted to be when she grew up started me thinking about the dreams I had for my own future when I was but just a wee one When I was in elementary school, I just knew I was going to be a lawyer. And, then, I did one of those mock courts and realized that I would have to speak in front of groups of people. Not only that, but I would have to deal with conflict. Yeah, once I realized that, being a lawyer was out.

Then, for a while, I thought I was going to be an architect and design houses. This stemmed from riding my bike with my childhood best friend over to an area of our neighborhood that was still under construction. We explored the partially built houses and tried to figure out the different rooms based on the few studs and beginning of plumbing. (I'm not entirely sure why we thought this was a safe choice for two elementary-school-aged girls. There is no way I'm going to let Molly ride her bike and explore half-built houses in the neighborhood. Different times, I guess.) Well, that dream dropped by the wayside when I realized how many math classes I would need to take throughout school. I know, I know, Winnie Cooper would not approve.

In high school, one of my friend's moms told me that I would be wasting my life if I didn't go into the medical field like my dad. I tried to explain to her that I can't stand the thought of blood or other bodily fluids. She didn't seem to think that mattered. I was convinced it did matter. I never truly considered that career path.

For a while, I knew for sure that I was going to be a copy editor at a newspaper. I actually worked as one at the Topeka Capital-Journal for a while in college. I truly enjoyed that job, even if I mostly copy edited obituaries. But, then, I realized that copy editors work almost every evening and holiday because, well, newspapers come out every morning, no matter if it is a weekend or Christmas. So, as much as I liked it, I liked having a life better. There went another dream.

So, here I am today. A stay-at-home mom with two kids and the occasional freelance proofing job. I am pretty sure my 3-year-old self didn't dream of this life. But, all of those other dreams got me to exactly where I want to be (even if I still don't consider myself "grown up"). I can't imagine being happier with any other life (minus the teething, of course).

However, if you see of any openings for mermaid, fairy, butterfly, ballerina princesses, please let me know, because Molly and I are signing up together.

We're dressed, ready, and waiting for a career path to open up ...

3 comments:

  1. mmmm....molly mac and cheese. It'd be too sweet :) I made a cheesy joke about mac and cheese...yay!
    I knew I was going to be in direct mail. Totally my destiny! Actually my first grade teacher called my mom when I said I was going to be Helen Keller. That was my dream...and was a great intro for my college essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dreams.....it never hurts to dream. The most important dream to achieve is to be happy...and I am so glad that you are happy right where you are......you are where you are supposed to be!!!!!! I do think fairy princess fits all three of you girls.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to every adventure you share here. It always makes me laugh. You have chosen well and you make many others happy on the way!

    ReplyDelete