Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow day lessons

I'm behind on blogging. I know. We've been under snow piles for weeks now, and despite all my great intentions of getting all sorts of things done in the house, I actually was quite lazy.

Ok, I take that back. Since I knew we were going to be trapped inside for days, I doubled-down on Charlotte's potty training. So, I spent many an hour of our snow-imposed hibernation in the bathroom or doing laundry.

Therefore, I did not get all the blogging done that I had planned.

I'll just do a quick update on our snow day adventures.

This is how we spent many an hour inside during the blizzard. Apparently, Charlotte was the queen, sitting on her throne.

When they got outside, Cory jerry-rigged a sled to pull up and down the middle of our unplowed street. Charlotte seemed to enjoy this.

Molly liked our mini snow hill to slide down.

Charlotte with Ella, but not happy.

Charlotte, not happy, after falling and not being able to get up from the foot of snow on the ground. I, the ever-vigilant mother, took her picture.

I tried to get a cute picture of the girls together. Didn't happen. Charlotte wanted in. the. house.


A second attempt the next day, Charlotte was a teeny bit happier.


The weekend after the first Snowpocalypse, Cory's aunt invited us over for some sledding. She has a giant hill for a front yard, so they created a huge, awesome sledding path.

Molly couldn't get enough of sledding down the hill.

Charlotte on the other hand, was not amused. She went inside shortly thereafter.

So much fun!

Snow angel!

Molly throwing snow balls with the neighbor boy.

Seriously, couldn't get enough.

I tried it. Once.
Cousin Kristin and Molly!

Look at that face!

Lessons learned from the Snowpocalypse of 2013:

  • Molly will stay outside playing in the snow until her feet develop frostbite. Seriously, I was a bad mom and didn't have snow boots for my girls, so we sent them out in rain boots and double-layered socks. We had to soak Molly's feet in a bath of hot water when she finally came in. Neither Cory nor I realized how absolutely frozen her feet were. I am now on the lookout for cheap snow boots for next year.


  • Charlotte: not such a fan of snow or cold. When she was a baby, the only picture I have of her in the snow is one of her bawling. Turns out, not much has changed. After the first day or two, whenever we would ask if she wanted to go outside and play, we got a firm "no" in response. So, I, being the ever self-sacrificing mother, agreed to stay inside the toasty warm house with her. Yes, I am that good of a mother.

Not quite a year, and Charlotte hated the snow.

  • Being snowed in sucked, but we did get Charlotte potty trained, so I guess something good came out of it. Not saying it was enjoyable, but, at least it was semi-productive.
  • My girls are better sisters when they are away from each other for part of the day. It is now a proven fact.
  • I have no pictures from the second snow storm. I was over the snow by then. I couldn't even be induced out for a cute picture session with Molly. I am done with snow.
  • And, the last lesson learned from snow days: Oh my gosh, have you tried Dark Chocolate hot cocoa? Seriously, one of the best things ever invented. I had a cup at my neighbor Sarah's house, then sent Cory out the night before the second snowstorm to make sure I had some before being snowed in again. They were sold out of the Swiss Miss kind at the store, so Cory got me one for my Keurig. Amazing. Never again going back to regular hot chocolate. Try it. You'll thank me, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment